When you or someone you love has been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, the consequences can be devastating. Your entire world may be turned upside down. You may be looking at a number of medical expenses, lost income and other financial repercussions in addition to the emotional trauma brought about by the incident.
The experienced San Diego personal injury attorneys at Timothy J. Ryan & Associates can help you better understand your legal rights and options as the victim. We will take care of all the paperwork and procedures associated with the litigation process so you can focus on recovering and getting your life back on track. We understand the emotional and financial consequences of a traumatic car accident, be it an auto accident, a slip-and-fall accident, a workplace injury or the consequences of medical negligence, etc. Call us at 714-898-4444 for a free consultation and a comprehensive case evaluation.
The Finest City
With an estimated population of nearly 1.4 million, San Diego is the eighth-largest city in the United States and second largest in California. From north to south, San Diego County extends from the southern borders of Orange County and Riverside County to the Mexico-United States border and Baja California.
From west to east, San Diego County stretches from the Pacific Ocean to its boundary with Imperial County. San Diego is the terminus of three primary interstate highways and is served by one three-digit auxiliary interstate. The city is also served by public transportation including trolley, bus, Coaster and Amtrak. San Diego is an immensely popular tourist destination. In the year 2016 alone, nearly 36 million tourists are believed to have visited the city to experience everything it has to offer, from beaches and parks to historic sites, entertainment venues, amusement parks, shops and restaurants.
A large city, while exciting to live in and visit, also presents a number of hazards. Hundreds of fatalities and tens of thousands of injuries are reported in San Diego as a result of auto accidents each year. It is also one of the leading cities in the country when it comes to the number of recorded dog attacks. If you have suffered a serious injury in San Diego, it is important that you know and understand your legal rights and options.
When Do You Need a Lawyer?
Does everyone who suffers an injury need a personal injury lawyer? This is a question that may arise in the mind of a victim who has just been involved in a traumatic event such as say, a car accident or a slip-and-fall accident in San Diego. When an individual suffers minor injuries or injuries that did not require time off work or hospitalization, he or she may be able to settle a claim just by negotiating with the insurance company.
However, if you suffered severe or catastrophic injuries that require you to undergo surgery and hospitalization, then you need an experienced injury lawyer on your side – one who can handle a complex litigation process for you. Your lawyer will represent your case and ensure that the value of your claim is accurately determined on the basis of the severity and extent of your injuries as well as all other damages. He or she will also deal skillfully with an insurance company that refuses to settle the matter in good faith.
Here a few situations in which the services of a knowledgeable San Diego personal injury attorney will prove invaluable:
- If you have suffered catastrophic injuries or permanent disabilities. Some accidents result in injuries that can significantly limit your physical and mental abilities. Examples of such debilitating injuries are brain trauma, spinal injuries that lead to paralysis, multiple broken bone injuries that limit mobility and limb amputations.
- If you have suffered moderate to severe injuries. Some injuries may eventually heal, but they do take a long time. This means mounting medical expenses, rehabilitation costs that may not be covered by your health insurance and lost income because of workdays missed.
- If you have suffered injury or illness due to medical negligence in the hands of a doctor, nurse, hospital clinic, laboratory or some other medical provider. Medical malpractice cases are extremely complex and need an attorney who has successfully handled similar cases.
- If you have suffered a workplace injury that was caused by the negligence of a third party (a party other than your employer or co-employee). These cases can be much more challenging to prove.
- If the insurance company or a governmental agency is refusing to make a fair settlement offer. In such cases, an experienced injury lawyer can help make a significant difference with his or her negotiating skills and knowledge of the law.
- If you have lost a loved one due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another.
If You Have Been Injured
There are a number of steps you can take to help ensure that your legal rights and best interests are protected. First and foremost, make sure you obtain an incident report that documents what occurred. For example, if you were injured in a car accident, get a copy of the police report and ensure your name is mentioned on the report. If you were injured in a slip-and-fall accident, file a report with the property owner and/or property manager.
Get prompt medical attention, treatment and care for your injuries. Secure as much evidence as possible from the scene. This includes photographs, contact information for eyewitnesses and other pertinent details. Preserve all physical evidence from the scene. For example, if you were injured in dog attack, keep your torn or bloody clothing. If you were involved in a bicycle accident, don’t repair the bike until it has been inspected for evidence. Keep all receipts and invoices relating to your incident and injuries.
The value or worth of a personal injury claim often depends on the nature and extent of the injuries and damages a victim has suffered as well as the degree of liability of the at-fault parties. Injured victims can seek compensation for damages including, but not limited to, medical expenses, lost income, hospitalization, cost of rehabilitative therapy, permanent injuries, disabilities, pain and suffering and emotional distress.
The San Diego personal injury attorneys at Timothy J. Ryan & Associates have more than 35 years of experience fighting for and protecting the rights of injured victims and their families. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you do not pay any fees or costs unless we secure an award or settlement for you. Please call us at 714-898-4444 for more information about your legal rights and options.