Timothy J. Ryan & Associates provides aggressive, effective, and compassionate representation to Orange County victims who were injured by a driver, property owner, healthcare provider, or anyone else whose carelessness contributed to an injury. With more than 35 years of experience as an Orange County personal injury attorney
, Timothy J. Ryan is well positioned to help injury victims receive the financial justice they deserve.
Motor Vehicle Accidents Motor vehicle accidents
are a leading cause of personal injuries in Orange County. They occur when drivers of cars or trucks collide with motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians, or other cars. Why do Orange County traffic accidents occur? Common explanations for motor vehicle accidents in Orange County include:
- Distracted driving (including driving while texting)
- Driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI)
- Driving after using medications that cause fatigue
- Failing to yield at an intersection
- Running a red light
- Driving too fast for weather conditions
- Changing lanes without checking the driver’s blind spot
- Road rage
Of course, accidents can happen for uncommon reasons, as well. Improperly fastened cargo that falls from a truck and an officer’s failure to follow law enforcement policies governing high speed chases are just two examples of the many additional acts of negligence that can lead to tragic results on Orange County roads.
Where do Orange County motor vehicle accidents occur?
In terms of raw numbers, Anaheim and Santa Ana lead Orange County in the number of traffic accidents causing injuries. Cities in Orange County with the most motor vehicle accidents per 1,000 residents are:
- Car Accidents. On a per capita basis, Seal Beach and Laguna Beach have the most car accidents in Orange County.
- Truck Accidents. Brea and Seal Beach both get a significant amount of truck traffic and are nearly tied for the most truck accidents per capita in Orange County.
- Motorcycle Accidents. On a per capita basis, Seal Beach and Laguna Beach are the most dangerous communities for motorcyclists.
- Bicycle Accidents. Bicycles are a popular form of transportation in Newport Beach and Huntington Beach, which explains why they lead Orange County in per capita bicycle accidents.
- Pedestrian Accidents. Laguna Beach has substantially more pedestrian accidents per capita than other Orange County cities.
Statistics show that, compared to other California cities of their size, accidents involving DUI are particularly likely to occur in Santa Ana, Orange, Huntington Beach, and Newport Beach.
Compensation for Motor Vehicle Accidents
The compensation an injury victim will receive as the result of a motor vehicle accident depends upon the extent of the injury and whether the victim shared responsibility for the accident. As a practical matter, the responsible driver’s insurance policy limits may also play a role in determining the settlement value of an injury claim. Catastrophic injuries
require funding for a lifetime of care. Catastrophic injuries usually involve brain damage or trauma to the spinal cord. Brain injuries often limit the ability of the accident victim to provide for his or her own care. Spinal injuries may lead to paralysis. Catastrophic injuries may also involve organ damage or the amputation of a limb, resulting in prolonged hospitalization and lengthy rehabilitation. Other disabling injuries may also reduce an accident victim’s earning capacity or cause the victim to endure a lifetime of pain. Neck, knee, and back injuries often have lasting consequences that merit substantial compensation. When personal injuries result in death, families count on Timothy J. Ryan & Associates to bring wrongful death claims
against negligent drivers (and in the case of company vehicles, their employers). Wrongful death compensation replaces lost income and sends a message about the value of the love and companionship that the victim provided to family members.
All Orange County businesses have a duty to keep their premises safe for customers. The most common violation of that duty is the failure to notice and correct a hazard that causes a customer to slip or trip. Falls can occur because a supermarket fails to clean a spill in its aisle, because a business fails to repair a pothole in its parking lot, or because an extension cord is stretched across an area where customers walk. Loose carpeting, damaged stair treads, and improper maintenance of slippery floors all contribute to falls.
Falls lead to broken bones (particularly wrists, arms, and ankles) as well as serious head injuries. A fall can be particularly dangerous for elderly accident victims. More than 95% of hip fractures in senior citizens are caused by falling. Homeowners also have an obligation to keep their premises safe. They can be held accountable for negligence when they fail to keep neighborhood children away from a swimming pool, fail to warn visitors about holes in the ground or other dangerous property conditions, or leave firearms where children might find them. Homeowners insurance, like premises liability
insurance maintained by businesses, can be a source of compensation for injury victims. If you suffered a personal injury due to the negligence of an Orange County property owner, Timothy J. Ryan & Associates’ personal injury lawyers in Orange County can help you obtain an injury settlement that will help you put your life back on track.
Doctors save lives, but when they are careless, they can destroy lives. Timothy J. Ryan & Associates represents individuals who have been harmed due to:
- Birth injuries caused by improper delivery techniques
- Surgical errors
- The failure to diagnose cancer and other diseases
- Administration of the wrong drugs or drug dosage during hospitalization
- Failing to explain procedures and obtain consent to treatment
- Anesthesia errors
If you think you were injured or believe a loved one died due to medical malpractice
, contact Timothy J. Ryan & Associates immediately. Steps need to be taken to assure that the hospital or clinic does not alter or destroy records that would reveal their negligent conduct.
Representing All Orange County Injury Victims
Timothy J. Ryan & Associates represents Orange County injury victims who are suffering due to another person’s negligence. Other cases we handle include:
- Defective Products. Exploding airbags, defective knee implants, and toys that create choking hazards are examples of defective products that can harm consumers due to a manufacturer’s negligence.
- Dog Bites. Owners are held strictly responsible for dogs that bite. Scarring and infections commonly result from serious dog bite injuries.
- Nursing Home Abuse. Improper care for elderly patients violates state and federal laws and entitles victims to compensation for their pain and suffering.
More Practice Areas